Pages

Monday 29 April 2013

One Year Healthy Hair Journey con't

Read the first part of my story here!

OK, so I went from having hair this length,


 
 
To this

 
In less than a year! I was fed up and frustrated and decided that maybe going natural is something I needed to explore so I hopped online to do some research on going from relaxed to natural, I wanted to know what to expect, learn about products I could use, etc. Really not expecting to find much, I was literally blown away by how many women out there was blogging about healthy hair, both relaxed and natural! I was glued to my computer reading everything and anything about how to get healthy hair, I was hooked! Once I started following certain steps/rules, my breakage stopped dead in its tracks! After seeing all those ladies with long healthy hair I felt like there was hope for me again. I hated how short and thin my hair was I was not used to it; I was now hiding my hair with wigs because I had to not because I wanted to. I wanted my length back.

By March 2012 I had a lot of new growth (well, at least to me since it had been years since I went that long between relaxers); my last relaxer was in December 2011. My plan was to grow out my hair and keep cutting away at the remainder of relaxed ends little by little but my thick roots and thin ends got the better of me. I was going to just chop it all off, I felt like I was wasting my expensive products on ends that was going to be chopped off anyways. On the 20th March 2012, I went to my old salon (the one where I dyed my hair black) to cut off all my relaxed ends. I didn’t want to go looking for a new salon plus I figured she couldn’t do any more harm so I took the chance with my old salon. Despite telling her that I wanted to get rid of all my relaxed ends she still left about two inches of relaxed hair. So I had about an inch of new growth and two inches of relaxed ends, about half inch to an inch of which was still black. I had some regrets but I loved how thick my hair was :D
March 2012

March 2012 Big Chop
As time went by I found myself reading more relaxed hair blogs than natural ones, I knew in my heart I was not ready to go natural so in April I decided to start my relaxed hair journey. I relaxed my hair on April 15th 2012 and considered that day the beginning of my healthy hair journey, between then and now I have relaxed my hair three times. On August 13th 2012 at 17 weeks post, no picture of this but I cut the remaining black ends. Then on November 30th 2012 at 15 weeks 4 days post, I cut a little more than an inch because I did not like how the centre looked. Looking back on this and my last relaxer, I’m starting to think that the back centre area of my hair was more damaged than I thought; it’s hard to tell after my big chop because of the colour top that I had on. In all the years of going to my hairdresser that was the only area that I would get burn and was really thin.


November 2012 Before Trim
And finally, my most recent relaxer was March 27th 2013 at 16 weeks 5 days post. After relaxing my hair I was not pleased with how uneven my ends were, a week later I trimmed about an inch and a half. I tried roller setting my hair to get it as straight as possible for my trim, it did not work out to well but I trimmed anyway.
March 2013 Before Trim

After Trim
I was a bit disappointed after my last relaxer because I had to trim again but looking back on this made me realise that I have trimmed over three and a half inches since starting my hair journey and since hair grows an average of six inches a year, I’m not doing as bad as I thought in terms of retaining length. When I started this journey my plan was to give it two years then decide my next step, one year down one to go! :)

Happy Hair Growing!

8 comments:

  1. Your progress from your BC to now is great! Your ends look full and amazing! :-) You'll be back to where you started from and more in no time. HHG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle, I have to keep reminding myself, health before length :)

      Delete
  2. Your hair is looking lovely! The trim definitely improved the overall appearance of your hair. Can't wait to see how your journey progresses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tai, to bad my roller set sucked, my ends are not as even as in the picture because of it but I'm not stressing. My aim from now is to keep as much length as possible between now and next April :)

      Delete
  3. wow! I love your hair story. My goal was to get back my length as well, but now I'm focusing on surpassing my prior length and improving thickness which I hope to achieve by texlaxing. Thanks for sharing. I'm now following your blog.

    www.lengtheninglocks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Andrea! Nice of you to stop by :) I'm also following!

      I want to get back my length plus more, hopefully I can do that without any drastic setbacks :)

      Delete
  4. wow, you went from NL to full shoulder in 9 months? that's awesome. i'm about the same length you were in the picture when you did the big chop. I hope to be SL by the end of the year. Thanks for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naija24, you will acheive your goals as long as you're consistent, I'm cheering you on! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete