Friday 29th November 2013 Touch-up at 17 Weeks 1 Day PostFor my final touch up this year I used my Affirm FiberGuard Conditioning Cream Relaxer. It is the lye version in mild strength. These are the steps I took:
· Part 1 ½ inch all around my hairline and twisted it.
· Section off my problem area at the centre of my nape. This area has not been relaxed since November 2012; it was practically non-existent at the beginning of my hair journey.
· Part my hair in 1 inch sections from ear to ear, detangling each section as I went along using my wide tooth comb and twisting it. I started using this method last year and stuck to it because I finish applying my relaxer a lot faster.
· I based my scalp and hairline with petroleum jelly then coated my relaxed ends with castor oil follow by petroleum jelly, can’t be too careful right?!
· I then applied my relaxer starting at the back, smooth once then applied to my hairline. After I finished smoothing my hairline I applied relaxer to the centre of my nape. I use my hands to apply my relaxer because it is easier for me than using a comb. I also smooth with my hands but use the back of the comb to smooth my hairline once. I finished applying and smoothing my relaxer in less than 10 minutes. My scalp started to tingle, which didn’t surprise me since I did not refrain from itching my scalp leading up to my relaxer touch-up.
· Hopped in the bathroom two minutes later and washed out the relaxer.
· Did my mid-relaxer protein step for 5 minutes using a mix of Affirm FiberGuard Sustenance Fortifying Treatment and Aphogee Two Step Protein Treatment.
· Neutralized with Affirm FiberGuard Normalizing shampoo 4 times even though I did not see pink after shampooing the first time. I left the shampoo in my hair for 5 minutes the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time I shampooed.
· Deep Conditioned with a mix of Keracare Humecto Cream Conditioner and Roux Porosity Control Corrector and Conditioner under my heat cap for 30 minutes.
· Wrapped my hair in a t-shirt for 30 minutes to get rid of the excess water after rinsing my deep conditioner.
· Applied my leave-ins, Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer and Matrix Biolage Daily Leave-in Tonic.
· Then applied some Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum.
· Air dried until my hair was about 90 percent dry then used my blow dryer on the cool setting to finish dry my hair.
The following morning I applied my heat protectors, Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide and CHI Silk Infusion, then flat ironed my hair using my Hana 1.5 inch Titanium Ionic Flat Iron.
The heat setting I used was 300 ͦ but I still felt like my hair was too straight when I was done flat ironing. I did not do a length check for my last relaxer touch-up in August since I know the urge to cut would be strong, I ended up trimming about an inch or so a few weeks later anyway lol. My nape has finally grown out enough for me to get rid of the space at the centre of my nape and still be at a reasonable length, I plan on getting my hair cut by a professional since I want a blunt cut.